What can you do with a math degree?
A lot! There is extensive information about mathematics careers, with substantial further links, at the following math career sites:
- American Mathematical Society
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Mathematical Association of America
The Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook includes education, employment and earnings information on Mathematicians, Statisticians and Actuaries. In a 2008 study of 200 professions, "mathematician" was rated NUMBER ONE, as reported in the Wall Street Journal.
One thing you can do with a math degree is be better in another field. About half of UMD's math majors are double majors.
What are some local career resources?
- The University of Maryland Career Center.
- CMNS Internships and Career Services.
- The National Security Agency ("just down the road") is the nation's leading employer of mathematicians.
- To talk about careers in mathematics, you can contact Ida Chan (), Coordinator of Undergraduate Advising for the Mathematics Department, Room 1115 Math, 301-405-4362