The Department of Mathematics – faculty, staff, and students – is committed to fostering an atmosphere of respect, collegiality, and sensitivity. As a community, we respect the dignity, individuality, and freedom of each member. At the same time, we strive to be a place where individuals and groups learn with and from each other.
The charge of the Department of Mathematics Climate Committee is to:
- Assure that the Department of Mathematics provides a welcoming and supportive environment for all members – undergraduates, graduate students, postdocs, lecturers, faculty, and staff.
- Provide a safe space to all members of our community to voice their concerns.
- Foster change to improve all aspects of the department that affect the wellbeing of our members.
- Initiate, coordinate, and promote activities to improve diversity and inclusion
- Annually update the “Mathematics Department Atmosphere and Inclusion Statement.”
- Girls Talk Math
- Women in Math
- AWM Colloquim Series
- Teaching math to inmates
- Prince Georges County Public Schools Calculus Course
- Pround Sponsor of The EDGE Program (Enhancing Diversity in Graduate Education)
- UMD’s Scott Wolpert to Lead National Project on DEI in Mathematics and Statistics
- Grand Challenges: Increasing Participation of Minorities and Women In STEM Through Sports Performance Analytics Research
Members of the Committee:
Graduate Student Council Rep
AWM Graduate Student Rep
Undergraduate Student Rep