The Department of Mathematics educates its majors in a broad range of modern mathematics while instilling in them a strong ability to solve problems, apply mathematics to other areas, and create rigorous mathematical arguments. The program prepares the majors to further their mathematical education in graduate school, or to teach at the secondary school level, or to work in government or business.
Programs and Requirements
- Math-Stat Majors Course Requirements
- Planning your courses
- Departmental Honors Program
- Double major
- Combined B.S./M.A. Program in Mathematics
- Terrapin Teachers
- A fifth-year masters for traditional math majors: be supported for teacher certification and a waiting job to teach
Opportunities, Research and Extracurriculars
- CMNS College Awards
- Award Winners
- Award History and Information
- Life after the Math Major: Where did they go?
- Examples of Recent Summer Research Experiences
- Past Undergraduate Research Projects
- Fun News About Our Majors
- Actuarial Science
- Minors in Mathematics, Statistics, and Actuarial Science
- Math Club!
- Actuarial Club!
- Mathematical Modelling Club
- Mostly for women: WIM at UMCP, Mentornet.
- Student Initiated Courses (STICs)
- Student Travel Fund
If you are interested in being a Math major, or a Math-double major, please contact us at .