Before the University
Resources for High School Students
- The Annual Maryland Mathematics Competition
(for Maryland and D.C. high school students)
- Information for prospective math/science/computer science students
- What can you do with a math degree?
Resources for High School Teachers
- The Maryland Mathematics Institute for High School Teachers (MMI)
- Summer courses for High School Teachers: MATH 483, 484, 485, 486.
Preparation for College Mathematics
How much mathematics is preparation for college is "enough"? There is no single answer, because the need for and importance of preparation varies with career choice. Let's address the question level by level, as it relates to the University of Maryland (i.e., UMD: the University of Maryland, College Park).
- "I want to do no more mathematics than the minimum required."
- "I will need some math but not much." (Kinesiology, psychology, sociology ... )
- "I have to take some calculus, but no more." (Business, biology, economics, ... )
- "I need calculus and more." (Engineering, chemistry, computer science, physics ...)
- "I may go on to graduate work in math or a subject using serious math."
- "I finished calculus and still have a year or more in high school."
Links for Prospective Students
- Examples of where UMD Math Majors go after they graduate
- Examples of undergraduate research projects by UMD Math Majors
- Undergraduate Admissions
- College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences
Just for fun
- Homegrown interactive applets from our Experimental Geometry Lab