In order to help students transition to their studies at UMD, the Mathematics Department offers credit-by-exam for MATH 120, 121, 140, 141, 240, 241 and 246. Credit-by-exam for MATH 212, 213, 214 is offered only to graduate students. Credit-by-exams are offered only to degree-seeking students at UMD. Only one CBE may be taken at a time.
Upcoming Exam Date
Generally, exams will be given on the Thursday prior to the start of classes. Under special circumstances, exams may also be given during Uniform Finals, if requested. The next exam will be held on the following day:
- August 25, 2022 (Thursday)
We do not have the resources to offer credit-by-exams on demand. Please make sure that you will be available on the date above before applying.
Application and Posting of Grade
You should complete the application at least one week before its scheduled date, to allow for the preparation of the exam.
- Complete the Credit-by-Exam application form here: https://www-math.umd.edu/images/undergraduate/Credit_By_Exam_Form_-_Updated.pdf
- Email the completed application form and proof that you have taken a similar course elsewhere to in the same email for preliminary approval. On the subject heading of the email, please put: MATHxxx CBE - Your Name - Your UID. If your application is preliminarily approved, it will be returned to you so that you may take it to the Bursar's Office to make the payment ($30).
- Email the preliminarily approved CBE application back to us (). This preliminarily approved CBE application must be accompanied by proof of payment issued by the Bursar's Office.
- Wait for the email updates from regarding additional details, including check-in times. You should start receiving the updates approximately 2 weeks before the exam. If you do not receive such updates, please contact to make sure that your applicaiton is still in order.
- Arrive at the front desk of the math building at your check-in time with your payment receipt and your student ID (or driver's license). Additional documents may be required, and if so, they will be listed in the email. You will be checked in at the front desk and will be led to the exam site at 11:45 am.
- After you have taken the exam, you have the option to not turn it in for grading. If you don't turn in your exam for grading, nothing at all will appear on your official transcript. If you think you have performed poorly, then you probably don't want to turn the exam in for grading; if you turn it in for grading, you will get a grade.
- After the exam has been graded, you must come to the Undergraduate Math Office and sign a form saying that you either accept or reject the grade. A grade of "C-" or better must be obtained to estavlish credit-by-exam. If you reject the grade, a "W" will be recorded on your transcript. No course may be attempted more than once using credit-by-exam.
- If you register to take a CBE and later need to cancel the registration, please kindly provide notice one business day in advance. There will be no refunds for cancellations or missed exams.
- Every application must be approved by the Math Undergraduate Office. Approval is not guaranteed. Credit-by-exam is only appropriate when a student has taken a similar math course elsewhere without being able to transfer the credit to UMD. In particular, credit-by-exam is not intended to be an option by which a student gets credit for a UMD course by auditing it and then taking the Proficiency Examination. The Undergraduate Advising Office reserves the right to deny CBE applications which it deems inappropriate.
- Credit-by-Exam may not be taken for courses in which the student has remained registered beyond the Schedule Adjustment Period, even with a transcript notation of "W."
- In order to be considered, a student must have:
- a minimum of 12 credit hours completed at UMD;
- a minimum GPA of 2.0;
- completed all prereqs or the approval of the department chair and the Senior Vice President and Provost.
- Note: (3a) and (3b) above may be waived for students in their first semester at UMD.
- Credit-by-exam will not be accepted for any part of the final 30 credits without permission of the Senior Vice President and Provost. With such permission, 6 of the final 30 credits may be by credit-by-exam.
- These exams are generally given 12:00-2:00 pm. A MATH246 exam takes 20 minutes longer (12:00 - 2:20 pm).
- MATLAB may appear in MATH240 and MATH241 CBEs. It will definitely appear in MATH246 CBEs.
- Notes, books, calculators, smartphones, etc. are not allowed.
- Student are encouraged to review final exams from previous semesters, to prepare and to assess their readiness for the credit-by-exams tests. Final exams from previous semesters are available at the Mathematics Department's TESTBANK. It is also very wise to check the list of topics for a course in our online syllabi.