In order to help students transition to their studies at UMD, the Mathematics Department offers credit-by-exams for MATH 120, 121, 140, 141, 240, 241 and 246. Credit-by-exam for MATH 212, 213, 214 is offered only to graduate students. Credit-by-exams are offered only to degree-seeking students at UMD. Only one CBE may be taken at a time.
Upcoming Exam Date
Generally, exams will be given on the Thursday prior to the start of classes. Under special circumstances, exams may also be given during Uniform Finals, if requested. The next exam will be held on the following day:
- January 22, 2024
We do not have the resources to offer credit-by-exams on demand. Please make sure that you will be available on the date above before applying.
Application and Posting of Grade (Updated September 2023)
You should complete the application at least one week before its scheduled date, to allow for the preparation of the exam (exception: if your orientation is within one week of the CBE, you may apply for the CBE after your orientation). ABSOLUTELY NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED ON THE DAY OF THE EXAM.
- Complete the Credit-by-Exam application form here: https://www-math.umd.edu/images/undergraduate/Credit_By_Exam_Form_-_Updated.pdf You must choose regular grading (not P/F) if you want the grade to be applied to your major or minor or general education.
- Email the completed application form and proof that you have taken a similar course elsewhere to in the same email for approval. On the subject heading of the email, please put: MATHxxx CBE - Your Name - Your UID. If your application is approved, it will be returned to you so that you may take it to the Bursar's Office in the Lee Building to make the payment (currently $30). You will be given a receipt by the Bursar's Office. You will need to bring a print out of the approved application and the receipt to us on the day of the exam.
- Wait for the email updates from regarding additional details. You should start receiving the updates approximately one (1) week before the exam. If you do not receive such updates, please contact to make sure that your application is still in order.
- On the day of the exam, arrive at the front desk of the math building at the check-in time with your payment receipt, your approved CBE application, and your student ID (or driver's license). Additional documents may be required, and if so, they will be listed in the email. You will be checked in at the front desk and will be led to the exam site at 11:45 am.
- After you have taken the exam, you have the option to not turn it in for grading. If you don't turn in your exam for grading, nothing at all will appear on your official transcript. If you think you have performed poorly, then you probably don't want to turn the exam in for grading; if you turn it in for grading, you will get a grade.
- After the exam has been graded, you must come to the Undergraduate Math Office and sign a form saying that you either accept or reject the grade. A grade of "C-" or better must be obtained to establish credit-by-exam. If you reject the grade, a "W" will be recorded on your transcript. No course may be attempted more than once using credit-by-exam.
- If you do not hear back from us one week after you have taken the CBE, please contact .
- If you register to take a CBE and later need to cancel the registration, please kindly provide notice one business day in advance. There will be no refunds for cancellations or missed exams.
- Every application must be approved by the Math Undergraduate Office. Approval is not guaranteed. Credit-by-exam is only appropriate when a student has passed a similar, accredited, math course elsewhere -- with a C- or better -- but is unable to transfer the credit to UMD due to some technicality. In particular, earning a 1, 2, or 3 on the AP does not qualify one to take the credit-by-exam. Self-study is not an acceptable form of preparation for the CBE. In particular, credit-by-exam is not intended to be an option by which a student gets credit for a UMD course by auditing it and then taking the Proficiency Examination. The Undergraduate Advising Office reserves the right to deny CBE applications which it deems inappropriate.
- Credit-by-Exam may not be taken for courses in which the student has remained registered beyond the Schedule Adjustment Period, even with a transcript notation of "W."
- In order to be considered, a student must have:
- a minimum of 12 credit hours completed at UMD;
- a minimum GPA of 2.0;
- completed all prereqs or the approval of the department chair and the Senior Vice President and Provost.
- Note: (3a) and (3b) above may be waived for students in their first semester at UMD.
- Credit-by-exam will not be accepted for any part of the final 30 credits without permission of the Senior Vice President and Provost. With such permission, 6 of the final 30 credits may be by credit-by-exam.
- These exams are generally given 12:00-2:00 pm. A MATH246 exam takes 20 minutes longer (12:00 - 2:20 pm).
- MATLAB may appear in MATH240 and MATH241 CBEs. It will definitely appear in MATH246 CBEs.
- Notes, books, calculators, smartphones, etc. are not allowed.
- Student are encouraged to review final exams from previous semesters, to prepare and to assess their readiness for the credit-by-exams tests. Final exams from previous semesters are available at the Mathematics Department's TESTBANK. It is also very wise to check the list of topics for a course in our online syllabi.
- If you require ADA accommodation, you must secure an accommodation letter from the ADS Office on campus.