Please also see covid testing requirement below (updated Jan 5, 2021)
Covid Impact on Upcoming CBE (updated 10/12/2020)
Unless otherwise directed by the University, we plan to offer the January CBE as scheduled below. Please complete the CBE application form here, and email it to for approval. In the email, please be sure to include proof that you have taken a course elsewhere that is similar to the CBE material (eg. high school transcript). If we approve your application, you will then mail the approved form with a payment of $30, in the form of a check, to the Bursar's Office, addressed below:
Financial Service Center
Student Financial Services and Cashiering| University of Maryland
1135 Lee Building| 7809 Regents Drive| College Park, MD 20742
On the memo section of the check, indicate the course information. Once the Bursar's Office has cashed your check, you will need to email a copy of your approved CBE application and a copy of your canceled check before we can finalize your application. Due to the present circumstances, please note that January 7, 2021 will be the last day we accept applications for this upcoming January CBE.
January 5, 2021 update: You will also need to provide proof of negative covid result on the date of the exam. The covid test must be taken within 14 calendar days prior to the exam date. Please plan accordingly because it may take a few days before you can get your covid result back after being tested. You will not be allowed to take the CBE without proof that you have been tested negative for covid within the past 14 days.
Again, all of the above is contingent on the university allowing the exam in person. The exam will not be offered online. No other arrangements can be made for students that cannot take the exam in person.
The Mathematics Department offers credit-by-exam for MATH 120, 121, 140, 141, 240, 241 and 246. Credit-by-exam for MATH 212, 213, 214 is offered only to graduate students.
Generally, exams will be given on the Thursday prior to the start of classes. Under special circumstances, exams may also be given during Uniform Finals, if requested.
- January 21, 2021 (Thursday)
- August 27, 2020 (Thursday)
We do not have the resources to offer credit-by-exams on demand. Please make sure that you will be available on the dates above before applying.
Application and Posting of Grade
You should complete the application at least one week before its scheduled date, to allow for the preparation of an exam.
- Pick up a Credit-by-Exam application form from Letters and Sciecnes, Room 1117 in Hornbake Library. Graduate Students can pick up the form at the Graduate School, Room 2117 Lee Building.
- Fill out the form and bring it to the Undergraduate Office (no need to attach transcript, unless the course you try to use as proof of prior knowledge does not appear on your UMD transcript).
- You will be notified by email whether your application is approved. If approved, stop by the Math Undergraduate Office to pick up the approval form and bring it to the Bursar's Office in the Lee Building to pay the exam fee.
- On the day of the exam (see above), at 11:45 am, bring the payment receipt and approval form to the Undergraduate Math Office. You will be led to the exam site to take the exam.
- After you have taken the exam, you have the option to not turn it in for grading. If you don't turn in your exam for grading, nothing at all will appear on your official transcript. If you think you have performed poorly, then you probably don't want to turn the exam in for grading; if you turn it in for grading, you will get a grade.
- After the exam has been graded, you must come to the Undergraduate Math Office and sign a form saying that you either accept or reject the grade. A grade of "C-" or better must be obtained to estavlish credit-by-exam. If you reject the grade, a "W" will be recorded on your transcript. No course may be attempted more than once using credit-by-exam.
- If you register to take a CBE and later need to cancel the registration, please kindly provide notice one business day in advance. There will be no refunds for cancellations or missed exams.
- Every application must be approved by the Math Undergraduate Office. Approval is not guaranteed. Credit-by-exam is only appropriate when a student has taken a similar math course elsewhere without being able to transfer the credit to UMD. In particular, credit-by-exam is not intended to be an option by which a student gets credit for a UMD course by auditing it and then taking the Proficiency Examination. The Undergraduate Advising Office reserves the right to deny CBE applications which it deems inappropriate.
- Credit-by-Exam may not be taken for courses in which the student has remained registered beyond the Schedule Adjustment Period, even with a transcript notation of "W."
- In order to be considered, a student must have:
- a minimum of 12 credit hours completed at UMD;
- a minimum GPA of 2.0;
- completed all prereqs or the approval of the department chair and the Senior Vice President and Provost.
- Note: (3a) and (3b) above may be waived for students in their first semester at UMD.
- Credit-by-exam will not be accepted for any part of the final 30 credits without permission of the Senior Vice President and Provost. With such permission, 6 of the final 30 credits may be by credit-by-exam.
- These exams are generally given 12:00-2:00 pm. A MATH246 exam takes 20 minutes longer (12:00 - 2:20 pm).
- MATLAB may appear in MATH240 and MATH241 CBEs. It will definitely appear in MATH246 CBEs.
- Notes, books, calculators, smartphones, etc. are not allowed.
- Student are encouraged to review final exams from previous semesters, to prepare and to assess their readiness for the credit-by-exams tests. Final exams from previous semesters are available at the Mathematics Department's TESTBANK. It is also very wise to check the list of topics for a course in our online syllabi.