This site deals with the exams required for the Ph.D. program or the non-thesis option for the M.A. or M.S. program in Mathematics or Mathematical Statistics, or the Applied Mathematics and Applied Statistics concentrations of the AMSC program.
Important note: The qualifying requirements for the Scientific Computation concentration of the AMSC program are totally different. In addition, students in the Applied Mathematics concentration of the AMSC program usually must take one or more exams outside of the mathematics department; see here for further information.
- The written exams and course options for MATH are here (for PhD) and here (for MA).
- For policy statements on the qualifying exams and language exams, see the Graduate Programs page.
- Syllabi for the written qualifying exams
- Archived written qualifying exams
- Suggestions on preparing for the qualifying exams
Upcoming Exam Dates
The August 2022 Qualifying Exams will take place from August 8th-12th
Time & Location: Examinations will be held from 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m EDT, location TBD
Friday, January 13, 2023
Tuesday, January 17, 2023
Thursday, January 19, 2023
Please note the following: