This site deals with the exams required for the Ph.D. program or the non-thesis option for the M.A. or M.S. program in Mathematics or Mathematical Statistics, or the Applied Mathematics and Applied Statistics concentrations of the AMSC program.
Important note: The qualifying requirements for the Scientific Computation concentration of the AMSC program are totally different. In addition, students in the Applied Mathematics concentration of the AMSC program usually must take one or more exams outside of the mathematics department; see here for further information.
- The written exams and course options for MATH are here (for PhD) and here (for MA).
- For policy statements on the qualifying exams and language exams, see the Graduate Programs page.
- Syllabi for the written qualifying exams
- Archived written qualifying exams
- Suggestions on preparing for the qualifying exams
Upcoming Exam Dates
The January 2024 Qualifying Exams will take place from January 12-19th
Time & Location: Examinations will be held from 9 a.m. – 1:00 p.m EST, location MTH 3206
Friday, January 12, 2024
Wednesday, January 17, 2024
Friday, January 19, 2024
Please note the following: