This site deals with the exams required for the Ph.D. program or the non-thesis option for the M.A. or M.S. program in Mathematics or Mathematical Statistics, or the Applied Mathematics and Applied Statistics concentrations of the AMSC program.
Important note: The qualifying requirements for the Scientific Computation concentration of the AMSC program are totally different. In addition, students in the Applied Mathematics concentration of the AMSC program usually must take one or more exams outside of the mathematics department; see here for further information.
- The written exams and course options for MATH are here (for PhD) and here (for MA).
- For policy statements on the qualifying exams and language exams, see the Graduate Programs page.
- Syllabi for the written qualifying exams
- Archived written qualifying exams
- Suggestions on preparing for the qualifying exams
- Information about the language exams
- Graduate Program Exam Dates
Upcoming Exam Dates
Dates: The August 2019 Qualifying Exams will take place on August 5, 7, & 9, 2019.
Time & Location: All examinations (Algebra, Analysis, Applied Statistics, Geometry/Topology*, Mathematical Statistics, Probability) will be held from 9 am - 1 pm in the Mathematics Colloquium Room (Kirwan 3206).
Monday, August 5, 2019
Algebra & Mathematical Statistics
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
Analysis & Applied Statistics
Friday, August 9, 2019
Geometry/Topology* & Probability
*Students admitted after January 2018 are not eligible to take the Geometry/Topology Qualifying Exam.
Please note the following: